Working hours – 50 hours per week (7.30am – 5.30pm)
Rate: £10 per hour
Purpose of Job:
The job holder will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the yard.
In this role you will be expected to carry out all tasks delegated to you in a safe and efficient manner, ensuring complete compliance with Total Rail Solutions policies and procedures.
In order to maintain the smooth running of the yard you are to maintain good timekeeping, be proactive, maintain good housekeeping practices at all times and endeavour to pre-empt and report any health and safety issues that may arise.
You are required to undertake all duties with regard to rail and other operations that may reasonably be required by your immediate manager in regard to this position.
- Organising plant, equipment and attachments ready for collection and subsequent deployment in a timely manner. Ensuring that the correct piece of plant has been identified and all equipment has the relevant and in date paperwork.
- The receipt of all plant, equipment and attachments, ensuring all unserviceable equipment has been identified and segregated.
- Carry out driving duties as instructed to you by your line manager.
- Operate machinery as and when required and in accordance with relevant training and competencies held for each piece of machinery.
- Complete any depot projects as required by line management.
- Maintain the yard to a high standard at all times observing good housekeeping practices, being proactive and complying with all Total Rail Solutions policies and procedures.
- Assembling all orders for Vortok Fencing prior to deployment as required and instructed.
- Maintaining a safe working environment within the yard at all time and adhering to all relevant health & safety procedures.
- Ensure all plant, equipment and accessories are cleaned on return and stored in the appropriate location. If any item is returned that is unserviceable it is to be identified and segregated.
- All equipment that is being deployed is to be checked ensuring it has the correct paperwork, identification, certificates etc.
- Ensure no strops are left on any equipment whilst in the yard.
- Ensure all lifting accessories are stored in the secure storage area.
- All unserviceable lifting accessories are to be entered onto the Lifting Accessories Quarantine Register.
- Maintaining a gap of 1m between all plant, trailers and boxes within the yard area.
- Carry out all depot projects and checks within the allocated timeframe as required by line management.
- Ensuring there is no build-up of rubbish at any time and good housekeeping practices are observed at all times.
- Wearing the correct Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) whenever there is a requirement to do so.
- Securing all hazardous substances in the designated COSHH area / cabinet when not in use.
- Reporting any damage to the building or malfunctioning depot equipment to line management.
- Maintaining a safe working environment by monitoring all personnel within the yard.
- Operate plant and equipment safely at all times.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Qualifications and Training:
- Practical knowledge and experience of road-rail vehicle operations on Network Rail managed infrastructure (preferably as a road-rail vehicle operator)
- Good knowledge of general track safety, possession requirements and the relevant sections of the Rule Book regarding OTP use. (Current PTS holder desirable or a willingness to undertake training)
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of Engineering Acceptance, duty charts, maintenance and statutory requirements regarding OTP owned or hired in by the Company
- Good Communication skills with the ability to build rapport with both internal and external colleagues and work closely in a supportive manner with immediate colleagues in all departments.
- Forklift Operator, or a willingness to gain forklift licence through formal training.
- Good Level of Numeric and Literacy skills.
- Must be proactive with a high degree of integrity, is highly motivated with a desire achieve goals and objectives laid down by line managers.
- Adopts a flexible approach to workload to meet changing business and client needs.