Purpose of job:
To load/offload road/rail plant and ancillary equipment safely to and from base of operations (Basingstoke or Cwmbran) and client rail locations throughout the UK.
Follow delivery and pickup routes and time schedules as issued to you by either the Transport Manager or Transport Co-Ordinator.
Ensure high standards of customer service and legal driving compliance at all times.
- To be briefed by either the Transport Manager or Transport Co-Ordinator on the day’s journey(s) including the logical route of delivery and pickups.
- Responsible for all aspects for the delivery and collection of various rail plant equipment. Loading, securing and the safe transportation of all equipment.
- To complete a Daily Vehicle Check to ensure the vehicle is road worthy and all checks are in line with the “Daily Vehicle Check” procedure. All vehicle defects must be reported immediately in line with the “Defect” procedure.
- Carry out checks to ensure the vehicle is not overloaded by weight or capacity and that any concerns are reported directly to either the Transport Manager or Transport Co-Ordinator.
- Completion of all relevant paperwork associated to client needs, deliveries and collections. Checking all relevant equipment is correct in line with client requirements.
- To unload equipment at the relevant location / site points in a safe, efficient manner and always in a considerate and polite fashion taking into account the care and attention of other people who are within close proximity of the unloading area.
- All legislation and paperwork concerning the vehicle’s Tachograph is complied with.
- Report any issues or discrepancies associated to the delivery or pickup of plant and equipment to the Transport Manager or Transport Co-Ordinator.
- Be prepared to work on occasions outside normal working hours in order to meet urgent and unplanned operational needs.
- Inform either the Transport Manager or Transport Co-Ordinator immediately should you be unable to deliver the plant or attachments to the client for any reason.
- All vehicles are to be kept in a clean and presentable condition, both internally and externally. Any issues, accident damage etc, should be reported immediately to the Transport Manager or Transport Co-Ordinator.
- To drive in a responsible manner at all times complying with all current Road Transport Regulations. Adhere to driver working hours, speed limits, etc.
- Act as an ambassador for the Company when meeting clients and customers creating an excellent impression of both the Company and the Transport Department.
- To action any other elements to fulfil the operational needs of the business.
- To report to the transport management any offences incurred as soon as possible.
- Check that your paper work is correct i.e. correct machine and ancillary equipment have been loaded /offloaded.
- Trained in FORS and undertaken the relevant modular tests and assessment.
Required Experience, knowledge, Qualifications and Training:
- Full, clean Driving Licence (HGV) and DigiTach holder
- Previous HGV driving experience with heavy plant
- Good geographical knowledge
- Good driving skills and knowledge of current Road Transport Regulations
- Polite, courteous, respectful and helpful
- Driver CPC training would be an advantage, however further training will be provided where necessary
- Willing to work various shift patterns and night working